Welcome to The Real Blogger Status - Beta. Please note the warnings (as of 6/13: 0 active), and the alerts (as of 1/10/2007: 5 active).

Please be aware of the naming variances in this blog. You will find various references to "Classic" / "Old Template 2006" Blogger, and to "Beta" / "New Template 2006" Blogger.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Login Problems

Possibly the biggest problem with Blogger Beta, right now, is the confusion over authentication. Under classic Blogger, you could have a Blogger account, with an account name. That account could be tied to any email account, with any email service. By default, Blogger Beta ties your Blogger access to a Google email address.

  • Blogger Beta
  • Google Adsense
  • Google Groups
  • Google Mail
  • Google Talk
  • Google Sitemaps
What happens if you want to switch accounts for various reasons?

One of the desired features in Blogger blogs was the ability to restrict access, ie allow only authenticated users to view a blog. Google decided to include this feature in its Beta Blog release, and decided to use Google accounts for the authentication. Unfortunately, this creates a problem with people who are currently authenticated using Blogger accounts. And Classic blogs likewise have trouble with people who are authenticating only with Google accounts.

Remember, you can have any Google account managing your blogs, within limits.

I suspect that there is some possibility for account confusion, among the Google services. Blogger Employee seems to consider this possibility. And Blogger Buzz: Beta Update! (look for "Login trouble" - they don't use anchor tags) describes issues that are relevant here too.

>> Top

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my! I signed up for gmail and a google account and switched to blogger beta and NOW I CANNOT log into my blog. I know my username and password. I keep resetting them just to make sure. I can't find any help on any google info or help boards about this issue. What am I to do??