Welcome to The Real Blogger Status - Beta. Please note the warnings (as of 6/13: 0 active), and the alerts (as of 1/10/2007: 5 active).

Please be aware of the naming variances in this blog. You will find various references to "Classic" / "Old Template 2006" Blogger, and to "Beta" / "New Template 2006" Blogger.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Beta WishList

Some items are actual bugs in Beta, others are design deficiencies. They all need to be communicated to Blogger, by the Blogger WishList.

(Note): This article is where I list my personal wishlist items. If this list encourages you to complain to Blogger, about these or other issues, I'm encouraged when you comment here, but you have to use the Blogger WishList, for any real chance of seeing positive results.

The purpose of this post is merely to identify the technical issues, so you can objectively state the facts to Blogger when you recommend changes to them. It's not a substitute for the Blogger Contact or the Blogger WishList forms.


  1. With blogs published on Blog*Spot, "www.myblog.blogspot.com" appears to be equivalent to "myblog.blogspot.com". This is nice, but not so essential. But with blogs published to custom domains, "www.mydomain.com" does not appear to be equivalent to "mydomain.com", even with carefully setup DNS references. And AdSense does not work, in this situation.
    Custom Domains: Make "www.customdomain.com" reliably equal to "customdomain.com", in all cases. And end the monolithic error - provide diagnostics.

  2. Provide a tool to use before, and during, blog migration.
    Migration Support Tool: Provide an estimate of time required for any blog to be migrated, AND / OR a migration progess indicator.

  3. Give us the ability to transfer Beta blogs from one administrator account to another. Don't give the creator of the blog permanent, unrevokable administrative status.
    Blog Ownership: Give us the ability to transfer blog ownership, from one account to another.
    (Edit 6/13): This ability has now been provided.

  4. Fix the spacing problems caused by including an indented post component, like <blockquote>, <ol>, <ul>. The workaround required, to make our posts look clean and consistent, is either painfully tedious, or causes reduced readability.
    Text Formatting: Fix the spacing problem caused by inserting an indented text element, like <blockquote> ... </blockquote>, into our post.

  5. If we create or edit a post, we get the Post Published screen, which has links to View Blog. How about the ability to view the post just updated? If it's not the most current post, it won't be at the top of the blog. It would be so cool to be able to view the post itself, without having to search thru the blog again.

  6. The New Blogger NavBar lacks components found in the Classic NavBar. Are these omissions intentional? If not, how were they overlooked?

17 comments:

dreamkatcha said...

All the niggles I have with Blogger Beta are workaroundable except for the way it treats edited posts as new ones and bumps them to the top of the RSS feed. We need an option to prevent that from happening.

Chuck said...

RSS is supposed to work that way. Did Atom, or RSS, not work that way under Classic Blogger? That may be your problem.

dreamkatcha said...

Probably yes. I just didn't notice this before now because I don't subscribe to my own feed. Even so, an option to only add brand new material to the RSS feed would be a nice addition.

Lana said...

I agree.

Carla said...

Yes yes yes yes to #3!

On the Beta version, I had a separate login name for two separate blogs, but the same email address for both. When I did the upgrade the two got consolidated because of having the same email address. I never wanted that to be the case. This is a privacy issue for me. I had to close the other blog to non-authors just to get it off my Dashboard, but that isn't the right solution, because there are non-authors who read it.

大头菜 said...

I wish we could have a choice to arrange posts by how recently they've been commented on!

Tiffany said...

#3 really is important. I'd like to separate out my personal and business related blogs now which were all lumped into one account after the transition to beta. Of course that's not possible at the moment which is really just stupid. They've been pretty good with everything else...so hopefully they will get on the ball with this also!

Laura said...

I started what's now a group blog, and I want out. You're telling me that it's impossible for me to remove myself, and give the blog to my admin? That's extremely frustrating.

Please fix this asap!

Nitecruzr said...

Laura,

Tell Blogger, don't stop here. This is where you start. Submit a Wish List entry!

Anonymous said...

AMEN TO #3!!!!!

I really hope Google can fix this because it makes no sense for one e-mail address to be assigned to a blog as an administrator for life, especially in an age where it's common for people to change e-mail addresses every few months because of spam and viruses and whatnot.

Administrator said...

I need to change my blog account user name! I created it under one email and now realized I need to change it and combine it with my other google services... Can anyone tell me why we can't do this????? Google is supposed to be the pioneer of all this technology, and we can't change or transfer a simple account admin ?

Ann said...

PLEASE fix the moving the owner of a team blog function!!!!!!

Nick Jensen said...

Ditto to number 1.

Cheers

paraxeno said...

please make it possible to move blogs completerly to other users without loosing content ...

I am stuck with a group blog in my main google account which I use for business too and I want to pass the group blog to another user for safety reasons

thanks in advance....

Ronnie T. Dodger said...

My Blogger Wishlist includes, among other things, the ability to enable/disable the "nofollow" attribute on links in the body of Comments as well as the Comment Author link.

Also, to provide for in-post Comment forms (as opposed to bouncing you to another page).

Asithi said...

I would love to be able to change the login name for my blog. I want to get rid on the original gmail account I created with my blog and use an email account I created exclusively for blogging.

Nitecruzr said...

Asithi,

Your problem is simple enough. Just transfer the blog to your preferred account.